Thursday, May 27, 2010

Bailey has a serious bark.

David gets off work in about 30 minutes and will be off work until Monday night!  He only gets every other weekend off, and I love those weekends!  Since he works nights (* see footnote) I don't feel like we get to spend much real time together any other time.  A weekday when he works goes something like this...  I get off work at 5:00 and am home by 5:10 at the latest - unless court went long for some reason.  He's usually in the shower when I get home.  I let the dogs out and start dinner.  He comes downstairs and feeds the dogs.  Dinner is always something pretty quick - I don't like to spend more than 30 minutes total on it when he has to work.  That includes the time it takes to thaw out any meat.  Anyhow, once dinner is done we usually watch a show off the DVR while we eat and by the time that's over he has to finish getting ready and leave by 6:30.

Thanks to the marvels of modern technology we can usually chat online once he gets to work.  But that means I'm sitting at home on the computer.  And he's answering 911 calls, so he can't exactly give me his full (or prompt) attention.  So it's not what I consider "real" conversation.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for that communication!  But if I were able to choose, I'd always prefer to have him actually here with me.

So I love every other weekend when he's off.  He switches his sleeping schedule over to days and he's all mine!  Most of the time our weekends together are crammed with activities and engagements because that's the only time we have to plan things.  But other times we somehow manage to just spend the weekend home together.  I like a mix of both types of weekends.

As much as I love these weekends, I've been thinking this evening that it's time to dig out my earplugs.  I haven't used them in two weeks, so I'm not sure where they are, and David snores.  And we're going to be fighting over the covers.  And it just feels different when he's in the bed at the same time as me.  And he won't be awake in the morning to make me wake up and get ready for work, so I have to somehow set my mind to make sure I don't hit snooze too many times.  (By the way - when I first wake up snooze looks like a very funny word.  Anyone else have that problem?)  I realized that I've actually managed to fall into a routine of him being on nights and when he's home, even though I love it, it messes with my routine!

-----

* Footnote: Yes, I just told the internet my husband works nights.  Now let me also mention our german shepherd, Bailey.  She has her normal bark and she also has a serious bark.  And she knows when to use each.  And while I've never actually seen what she would do if someone tried to break into our house, I have seen her become VERY concerned when I was upset and crying about something.  There was no actual danger, but she picked up on it.  She's pretty in tune to both of us.  So no, I'm not worried about telling the internet that my husband works nights when I have her to protect me.  She's a working dog through and through, and we are her herd.  I love her for that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More