Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Welcome to my journey in weight loss.

I'm 29 years old and I weigh way more than I should.  I've always been overweight...  at times it has bothered me and other times I have been fine with it.  But I've always known that it is something I should change, whether I let it upset me or not.  My doctors have (some politely, others notsomuch) all mentioned it, no matter what my ailment was.  (Sinus infection?  You should lose weight!)  And to be honest, simply seeing the word "obesity" written down on my paperwork under diagnosis was really upsetting.  Yeah, I'm fat, but obese?!  Turns out...  yep, I am. 

So when David and one of his co-workers decided to do a weight loss challenge I decided to jump in.  I'm not in their contest because it was deemed unfair with odd numbers, so basically I'm just trying to do better than David so I can kick his butt and gloat.  But more importantly, I know this is something I need to do for myself.

I have come to the conclusion that "dieting" (I lose that term very loosely because I am not doing a particular fad "diet") and weight loss have to become a sort of obsession when you're at the point I am in order to achieve anything.  I feel like all I have been talking about lately is my diet.  It helps that I'm excited about my progress (12 pounds lost since May 1st).  But I'm pretty sure people are getting tired of hearing about my calorie budget and my spiffy new pedometer and how many steps I've taken for the day!  But my mom, Samantha, and one of my co-workers have all started "dieting" too, and it's a huge help to be surrounded by people with similar goals and struggles.  And what we are doing is working!

I don't intend for this to become a blog about weight loss.  There are plenty of those out there, and that's not what this is.  This is just what I am going through right now, and I need a place to obsess and share - even if nobody ever actually reads it.  ;)  I'll try to share the things I have learned and the tools I've found helpful.  It is my hope that if I should fall off the wagon at some point (okay, it's probably inevitable given my track history) I will be able to look back at this blog and remember my reasons for the changes I have made. 

You don't get a before picture.  I took one, but it's not going anywhere because it's absolutely frightening.  I don't know if I'll ever be able to share it.  I'm also not telling you how much I weigh!  Maybe once I reach my goal I'll tell you how bad things were in the dark days... but for now that's just not something you need to know. It's something I cheerfully ignored for quite some time, so that's what I'll expect you to do.  ;)

Current length of diet: 1.5 months
Current weight lost: 12 pounds

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More