Saturday, June 19, 2010

I love strawberries.

IMG_3650

Strawberries are the most amazing fruit.  Well, okay, strawberries and watermelon actually tie for first place in my book, but strawberries are much more accessible and they're easier to fit in the refrigerator.  But seriously... what is better than a sweet, juicy strawberry?  The only thing I can think of is lots of sweet, juicy strawberries cut up on top of vanilla ice cream.  It's so good that you have to lick the bowl when you're done.  If you don't, you're not a true Dewberry.

When I was growing up, my Mamaw and Papaw always had a garden.  I really wish I had pictures of their gardens.  I remember them so fondly.  At first Papaw planted corn because they wanted to grow corn.  When he saw how much Kelly and I enjoyed running through the rows of corn (and as we grew older and bigger) he started planting them just a little further apart so it would be easier for us to get through.  And eventually I think he ended up only planting a few rows JUST for us.  Because he knew we liked it.  There were always green tomatoes sitting in the kitchen windowsill waiting to get ripe.  And oh, the tangerine tree!  We'd have to climb on the roof of the garage every year to get to them but they were so worth it.  The tangerine tree was an event in and of itself.

While they never grew strawberries (that I remember), we would go to strawberry patches in Alabama and pick our own every couple of years.  It was hot and it was a lot of bending and hard work, but it was so worth it.  We would fill boxes - and eat a few along the way!  We would stop at the scales and see how much we had picked and pay for them.  And when we got home we'd eat strawberries and vanilla ice cream until we made ourselves sick.  Whenever I think of Papaw the first thing that comes to mind is sitting on the back screened porch around that funny old table they used to have (I think it was from the 60's) and him with a bowl to his lips, getting those last few drops.  I don't know if he licked the bowl to put on a show for us or if he licked it all the time.  But it brings a grin to my lips just thinking about it.  I hate that my nephews (and my own kids if I ever have them) will never get to meet their Papaw.  But I think I need to get them some strawberries and vanilla ice cream this summer.  Because they've got Dewberry blood in 'em and they need to experience the strawberries.  And maybe next year they'll be old enough to take to a strawberry patch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More